Research Programme Hydrogen: The Role of Gas in the Energy Transition
Within the framework of the “Research Programme Hydrogen: The Role of Gas in the Energy Transition” the role of gas and its infrastructure in the energy transition is analysed. The programme focuses on hydrogen as an energy carrier, which is considered to be of great importance for an economically efficient implementation of the climate targets. The programme is divided into three areas:
As part of the programme, the EWI continuously produces and publishes analyses and research papers and organises study-related events. This contributes to the political debate and further expands the gas and particularly hydrogen research competence at the institute. Among others, the following questions will be investigated:
- How can hydrogen contribute to achieving climate targets in a cost-effective way?
- Which sectors should be addressed first for this objective?
- What contribution can the gas infrastructure (networks & storage) make?
- What regulatory framework is needed for this?
- How can economically efficient incentives for market ramp-up be designed?
- Which actors are affected by a market ramp-up (positive and negative)?
- How can hydrogen be produced in the medium and long term?
Selected activities of the Research Programme Hydrogen
- Hydrogen market ramp-up: energy suppliers take on a central role, 04/2021
- The who’s who of a hydrogen market ramp-up: A stakeholder analysis for Germany, 02/2021
- Digital Workshop: Costs and Support of Hydrogen, 12/2020
- Wasserstoff: Bezugsoptionen für Deutschland - Kostenvergleich von importiertem und lokal produziertem CO2-armen Wasserstoff, 12/2020
- Estimating Long-Term Global Supply Costs for Low-Carbon Hydrogen, 11/2020
- Global Hydrogen Cost Tool: Estimating Long-Term Global Supply Costs for Low-Carbon Hydrogen, 11/2020
- Der Regulierungsrahmen für Wasserstoffnetze - Eine ökonomische und rechtliche Einordnung vor dem Hintergrund des angestrebten Markthochlaufs, 11/2020
- Hintergrund Nationale Wasserstoffstrategie - Technologieneutralität ermöglicht Markthochlauf und langfristige kosteneffiziente Versorgung, 05/2020
- Workshop: Challenges of a Hydrogen Economy, 01/2020
The research programme is an initiative of the Society of Benefactors of the Institute of Energy Economics at the University of Cologne. It was initiated in October 2019 and is designed as an ongoing programme.
Various institutions and companies are supporting the programme in order to investigate the contribution of gas and hydrogen in the most cost-effective implementation of the energy system transformation. An advisory board ensures that EWI’s research can take place close to industrial practice. So far, the following partner companies are involved: Allianz Capital Partners GmbH, E.ON SE, ExxonMobil Gas Marketing Deutschland GmbH, Gascade Gastransport GmbH, Gazprom Germania GmbH, Open Grid Europe GmbH, RheinEnergie AG, RWE AG, Uniper Energy Sales GmbH, Viessmann Deutschland GmbH, VNG AG, Zukunft Gas e.V..
If you would like to become a partner yourself, please contact Christina Sternitzke. We are happy about your interest.
Phone: +49 172 264 601 2